China visa application and requirements

                    China Visa

China Visa

Having to get a visa to China takes all the fun out of traveling.
We are here to get it back. Just apply online below and let us do the rest

US permanent resident?
Need help?Chat with usCall us 7 days a week: +1-800-345-6541Call us 7 days a week: +1-800-345-6541
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and in line with the WHO guidelines, VisaHQ will be taking the necessary steps to protect our employees as well as the well-being of our customers. If you wish to drop off or collect documents at our office, you will be able to do so by coordinating with our team by messaging us or dialing our local support lines. You can also contact us for the most up to date entry restrictions. We appreciate your understanding in this matter and we thank you for your cooperation on behalf of VisaHQ and its employees. In response to the COVID-19, most of the countries imposed new entry and exit regulations at the border. Please contact your airlines to obtain more information about that prior to your trip.
Apply online Visit our office
Mail documents We prepare your documents and application
Receive visas Submit application in person
Expert in China visa services since 2003, VisaHQ is a private visa agency, not affiliated with the government of China. VisaHQ provides
 expediting services 
  • error-proofing your application
  • hand-carry delivery to Consulate
  • real-time status updates
  • dedicated call center
for visa to China and charges a service fee. See how we compare in the 90 seconds


COVID-19 / Health Insurance for travel to China
VisaHQ has recently been able to assist with China visas across the world. The process has changed from what was normally followed pre-pandemic. Applicants are required to obtain specific approval for their essential travel to China. You will need to contact the entity or company you will be visiting in China and be issued a specific approval letter/ invitation letter granting issuance of the visa. This will then need to be coordinated with the appropriate embassy or visa center where the applicant is located. Once this has been done you can then coordinate with VisaHQ to submit your application. Feel free to reach out to our support teams for more info on how we can assist with your travels to China.

Select the type of China tourist visa (l) application:

and send the following documents to VisaHQ:

Chinese visa application form. For online orders, please download, print and sign China visa application, prepared by our system under your account. Application MUST be typed. Handwritten applications will not be accepted by the Embassy. Application forms cannot be double sided, please print on one side.
Original, signed United States of America passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity and at least 2 consecutive blank visa pages.
Passport Photo: 1 Include a passport style photo, with a white background, taken within the last 6 months. Photos with bare shoulders are not accepted. You may also choose to upload a photo to your order for us to print. There is a surcharge associated with this service.
Itinerary. Copy of round trip tickets or detailed itinerary for the duration of the trip (Applicant's name must be on itinerary).
Health Declaration Form. Please complete one copy of the Health Declaration Form and provide it with the rest of your application documents.
Hotel Reservations. Copy of hotel reservations (Applicant's name must be on Hotel Reservation).
Personal Invitation. If visiting friends or family, you must provide a letter of invitation from the host in China. The letter must be signed and should be address to the "Consulate of China, Visa Section." The letter must contain the following information:
Personal information of the applicant: Name, gender, date of birth, and passport details
Details of the visit: Dates, purpose, places to visit, and places of accommodation
Details of the inviting party: Name, address, phone number, and relationship to the applicant

You will also need to provide a copy the host's Chinese ID(both front and back sides), or, if they are not a citizen of China, copies of their China residence permit and their national passport's information pages.

Tourist Invitation. If your travel is being organized by a tour group in China, an official signed and stamped Invitation Letter for Tourist issued by Duly Authorized Tourism Unit in China can be used in place of the hotel reservation. Invitation must not be issued by a US travel agency.
For Applicants Employed By An NGO
For applicants employed by an NGO (e.g., any organization named "Foundation," "Society," "Association," etc.) processing times may extend up to 2 or 3 weeks, regardless of purpose of travel.
Additional required documents for minors
Application form. The application must be signed by the applicant and one or both parents on sections 4.3 of the form. Sections 5.1 to 5.5 must be filled out with one of the parents' information and their signature.

Birth certificate. A copy of the applicant's birth certificate.

Parents' passport copies. A copy of the information pages of both parents' signed passports.

When applying for a child with Chinese parents, the applicant must also provide proof of parents' status in the United States.
Additional requirements for applicants born in China, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan
Chinese name. The applicant's name written in Chinese characters.

Proof of name change. If the applicant's name has changed since birth, please provide a copy of the court order or marriage certificate showing the name change.

Previous visa. Copy of a previously issued Chinese visa or copy of the information page from your Chinese, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwanese passport. NOTE: If your old passport has not been canceled, you will be required to submit the original passport with your application.
Additional requirements for Chinese applicants adopted by American parents
Chinese passport. Applicant's ORIGINAL Chinese passport.

Proof of name change. If the applicant's name has changed since birth, please provide a copy of the court order or marriage certificate showing the name change.

Parents' passports. Clear passport information page copies of both American parents.

Certificate of adoption. A notarized certificate of adoption.

Birth certificate. A copy of applicant's birth certificate (usually from U.S).
Information for persons of Tibetan origin
You must make a personal appearance at the Chinese Visa Application Service Center to process your visa if you are a person of Tibetan origin. The Visa Application Service Center will require additional documents in order to process your visa and VisaHQ is unable to assist in these procedures.
Applicants with an occupation related to media
First-time applicants whose profession is related to the media industry may be required to submit their applications in person at the Chinese consulate for biometric enrollment. After the initial submission, VisaHQ can assist these applicants whose biometrics are currently on file with the Chinese consulate. Please provide a scan of the previously issued visa and let us know when mailing your application.

Additional required documents for travelers who have visited Turkey, Kazakhstan or Pakistan after January 1st 2015
Affidavit. A signed affidavit giving the exact dates and purpose(s) of every trip made to said countries. Dates must match all entry/exit stamps in the traveler's passport and all trips mentioned on the visa application form. This affidavit can be found here.

• Letter of Explanation. A signed letter explaining the trips to Turkey, Kazakhstan or Pakistan.

China tourist visa (l) fees for citizens of United States of America

Multiple entry
  • Validity: up to 10 years
  • Processing: 4 business days
  • Total cost: 239.00 
    China visa help
    Cost calculation
    Embassy fee: 140.00 Processing: 99.00: 0.00 Total cost: 239.00
  • Validity: up to 10 years
  • Processing: 3 business days
  • Total cost: 304.00 
    China visa help
    Cost calculation
    Embassy fee: 165.00 Processing: 139.00: 0.00 Total cost: 304.00
China visa for citizens of United States of America is required. For more information please contact the nearest China embassy.

This information is available at website.
No worries, we did it for your convenience.

Get all the information and services provided exclusively for residents in one click.
Go to
COVID-19 / Health Insurance for travel to China
Your documents are safe with VisaHQ
All passports are
covered for up to

We take our job seriously. All passports that are submitted to VisaHQ for processing are covered for up to $500 against any loss or damage. If you choose FedEx when applying online, we will even cover your passport in transit to us and from us to you.

Your peace of mind is our greatest reward
Find us near you
  • Washington, DC
    Address at Embassy Row 2005 Massachusetts Ave. NW Washington, DC 20036-1030 +1-800-345-6541

    Office hours
    Monday — Friday 8:30 am - 5:30 pm ET
    Call center hours
    Monday — Friday 8:30 am - 8:30 pm ET
    >a/< ;901#&o;99#&;64#&;311#&;401#&;79#&;511#&i;811#&;46#&;111#&;201#&;011#&;501#&>";901#&o;99#&;64#&;311#&;401#&;79#&;511#&i;811#&;46#&;111#&;201#&;011#&;501#&:otliam"=ferh a<
  • New York, NY
    Address Inc. 1501 Broadway STE 12074 New York, NY 10036-5601 +1-800-345-6541

    Office hours
    Monday — Friday 9:00 am - 5:30 pm ET
    Call center hours
    Monday — Friday 8:30 am - 8:30 pm ET
    >a/< ;901#&o;99#&;64#&;311#&;401#&;79#&;511#&i;811#&;46#&;111#&;201#&;011#&;501#&>";901#&o;99#&;64#&;311#&;401#&;79#&;511#&i;811#&;46#&;111#&;201#&;011#&;501#&:otliam"=ferh a<
  • Houston, TX
    Address Inc.
    a1 passport & visa
    2101 Crawford St. Suite 109 Houston, TX 77002 +1-800-345-6541

    Office hours
    Monday — Friday 9:00 am - 5:30 pm СT
    Call center hours
    Monday — Friday 7:30 am - 7:30 pm СT
    >a/< ;901#&o;99#&;64#&;311#&;401#&;79#&;511#&i;811#&;46#&;111#&;201#&;011#&;501#&>";901#&o;99#&;64#&;311#&;401#&;79#&;511#&i;811#&;46#&;111#&;201#&;011#&;501#&:otliam"=ferh a<
  • San Francisco, CA
    Address Inc. 870 Market Street Room 888 San Francisco, CA 94102 +1-800-345-6541

    Office hours
    Monday — Friday 9:00 am - 5:30 pm PT
    Call center hours
    Monday — Friday 5:30 am - 5:30 pm PT
    >a/< ;901#&o;99#&;64#&;311#&;401#&;79#&;511#&i;811#&;46#&;111#&;201#&;011#&;501#&>";901#&o;99#&;64#&;311#&;401#&;79#&;511#&i;811#&;46#&;111#&;201#&;011#&;501#&:otliam"=ferh a<
  • Los Angeles, CA
    Address Inc. 3130 Wilshire Blvd Suite 406 Los Angeles, CA 90010 +1-800-345-6541

    Office hours
    Monday — Friday 9:00 am - 5:30 pm PT
    Call center hours
    Monday — Friday 5:30 am - 5:30 pm PT
    >a/< ;901#&o;99#&;64#&;311#&;401#&;79#&;511#&i;811#&;46#&;111#&;201#&;011#&;501#&>";901#&o;99#&;64#&;311#&;401#&;79#&;511#&i;811#&;46#&;111#&;201#&;011#&;501#&:otliam"=ferh a<
  • Chicago, IL
    Address Inc.
    swift passport services
    1 E Erie St. Suite 525 Chicago, IL 60611 +1-800-345-6541

    Office hours
    Monday — Friday 9:00 am - 5:30 pm CT
    Call center hours
    Monday — Friday 7:30 am - 7:30 pm CT
    >a/< ;901#&o;99#&;64#&;311#&;401#&;79#&;511#&i;811#&;46#&;111#&;201#&;011#&;501#&>";901#&o;99#&;64#&;311#&;401#&;79#&;511#&i;811#&;46#&;111#&;201#&;011#&;501#&:otliam"=ferh a<

Frequently Asked Questions about China visa

  • Do I need a visa to visit China's mainland?
    Foreign citizens generally need a visa to visit China's mainland with the exception of visa-free entry according to relevant agreements and regulations. (See Exemption of visa for more information.)
  • I am a U.S. citizen, can I apply for a Chinese visa at the port of entry?
    U.S. citizens must obtain a visa before arrival in China. You are not eligible for a landing visa.
  • I have received my visa, but there will be a change in my trip plan. Do I need to apply for a change of the visa type or validity?
    Once your visa application is processed and approved, you will not be able to change a visa type or validity unless you request the visa be voided by the Visa Office and apply and pay for a new one. If you have entered China, you should apply to the local Public Security authority for a change in visa type or an extension of stay or validity. Your application will be considered by the Public Security authority in accordance with relevant Chinese Laws and Regulations.
  • I get a new passport, but I have a valid Chinese visa in my old passport. Can I travel with both passports to China without applying for a new visa?
    Yes, you may travel with both passports provided that your visa is still valid and the personal details including your name, sex, date of birth and nationality on both passports are exactly the same.
  • I have received my visa. Is there a guarantee that I will be allowed to enter China?
    A visa is not a guarantee to enter China. The decision on whether or not you will be allowed to enter China is made at a port of entry by Chinese Border Control authority in accordance with Chinese Laws and Regulations.
  • Consulate in Beijing
    Location No. 55 An Jia Lou Lu,
    100600, Beijing, China
    Phone +86-10-8531-3000
    Fax +86-10-8531-4200
  • Consulate in Chengdu
    Location 4 Lingshiguan Lu
    610041, Chengdu, Sichuan China
    Phone +86-28-8558-3992
    Fax +86-28-8558-3520
  • Consulate in Guangzhou
    Location Huaxia Road, Zhujiang New Town,
    (near Exit B1 of the Zhujiang New Town
    subway station, Line 3 and Line 5)
    Tianhe District, 510623, Guangzhou, China
    Phone +86-20-3814-5000
  • Consulate in Shanghai
    Location 1469 Huai Hai Zhong Lu,
    200031, Shanghai, China
    Phone +86-21-8011-2200
  • Consulate in Shenyang
    Location 52, 14th Wei Road, Heping District,
    110003, Shenyang, China
    Phone +86-24-2322-1198
    Fax +86-24-2322-2374
  • Consulate in Wuhan
    Location New World International Trade Tower I,
    No. 568, Jianshe Avenue, Hankou
    430022, Wuhan, China
    Phone +86-27-8555-7791
    Fax +86-27-8555-7761

United States of America Embassy list in China

China Customs

Import Regulations Export Regulations Health and Security Contact Customs Authorities
The following items can be imported into the country if visiting for less than 6 months.

  • Tobacco products Cigarettes – 400
    The amount of cigarettes increases to up to 600 if staying more than 6 months
  • Alcoholic beverages – 2 Bottles
    The alcohol limit doubles to 4 bottles if staying over 6 months
  • Reasonable amount of perfume
  • Amongst the items requiring permission to enter China include TV’S, Computers, washing machine and other electrical goods.
  • Cats, dogs and other small animals will require a vaccination prior to being allowed to enter the country
  • Guns and Ammunition
  • Explosives and Explosive Materials
  • Radio Receivers/Transmitters
  • Knives and similar dangerous cutting weapons
  • No information available
  • No information available
  • Arms and Ammunition
  • Explosives and material required to build them.
  • Radio receivers/transmitters
  • Precious jewels and metals – UNLESS previously declared.
  • Pornographic material
  • Beef
  • Sheep/Lamb meat
  • Fruit and certain vegetables – Tomatoes and Red peppers etc
  • Valuable animals, plants and seeds
  • Any written or recorded material which could endanger Chinese national security
Basic health information for travelers to China
  • A yellow fever vaccination is required from all travellers arriving within six days of leaving an infected area.
  • Water should be considered safe in the major cities but should be boiled for safety in the more rural areas. Visitors are advised to check the state of the water before drinking and to stick to bottled water if travelling in more remote parts of the country.
  • Meat, vegetables and other hot meals should be well cooked before being eaten to avoid the risk of disease.
  • There have been intermittent cases of pneumonic plague throughout the country. Hand, foot and mouth diseases have sprung up during the summer months. Parents visiting the country during this period should take care to vaccinate their children prior to flight to avoid the possibility of infection.
  • Rabies is present in large parts of the country. Visitors should avoid contact with wild animals which might contain the infection and to keep small children away from them at all times. If bitten, the wound should be cleaned with plenty of fresh water and checked medically for any signs of infection.
  • Haemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome is endemic. Hepatitis A and B are highly endemic in the country and should be vaccinated against.
  • AIDS is present in the country and travellers should take all necessary precautions if engaging in sexual activity. Travellers should avoid swimming in unclean water sources i.e. streams and pools which may contain risks of disease. Tuberculosis and Dengue fever is also present in much of the country.
  • Visitors should check the environmental conditions prior to visiting. Travellers visiting a hot region should take along plenty of sun protection and bottled water. Alternatively, many regions of China involve visiting areas of high altitude and may cause health problems for travellers suffering from heart disease or high blood pressure. Symptoms can include headaches, fatigue and general illness. Travellers suffering these or similar symptoms should rest then move immediately to a lower altitude to avoid additional symptoms and seek medical aid if required.
  • Medical facilities in most major hospitals are excellent although standards may fall slightly in the more rural areas of the country. Medical costs are reasonable but travel and medical insurance is advised.
Basic security information for travelers to China
  • Violent theft in major street markets and in big cities in general is reported to be on the rise with money and passports being the main targets for would be thieves. Travellers should take care of their belongings at all times when travelling around the country and should be careful when visiting the countries clubs and bars.
  • Various cons involving fake cash and over pricing taxis have been reported and visitors should take special care when travelling via taxis in the big cities.
  • Visitors should avoid any scenes of conflict which may occur between the government and protesters. The protesters have the potential to turn violent and travellers are advised to stay well away from any potential scenes of violence and to keep a copy of their passport with them at all times in case of stoppage by the security services. Travellers planning to visit Tibet should check the political and legal situation in the country prior to flying out has there have been continual acts of violence in the region and may be restricted from entry. Taping or taking pictures of protests or government buildings may be confiscated by the security forces.
  • Travellers navigating the country on their own should beware of the risk of encountering thieves and bandits in the more remote parts of the country alongside the sometimes dangerous natural environment. Much of the country exists at a high altitude and visitors should thoroughly check their intended destinations environmental conditions prior to flight.
  • Many regions of the country are subject to a wide variety of natural disasters including Earthquakes, Flooding and Typhoons. In recent years Earthquakes measuring up to 7.1 on the Richter scale have been reported with much additional loss of life and property. Visitors to the country who are caught up in an Earthquake should stay calm and immediately report their situation to the nearest foreign embassy.
  • Parts of central, southern and western China, particularly those bordering the Yangtze River, are vulnerable to flooding and landslides. Roads, houses and other native infrastructure have been badly affected and visitors are advised to avoid these areas where possible and to check for any water based diseases if trapped in the vicinity of the flooding. The tropical cyclone season in China normally runs from May to November and should be avoided. All visitors to the country should check the environment of the region of the country they are planning to visit prior to their flight.
  • There are restrictions on certain religious activities, including preaching and distributing religious materials. The Falun Gong movement is also banned in China. Homosexuality is not formally outlawed in the country but may be frowned upon in public. Some culturally important areas like museums ban photographs from being taken and travellers should ask local sources if uncertain.
Chinese Customs contact information
For further assistance please contact the Chinese Customs authorities directly. They will provide the latest information about customs regulations and export-import procedures.

  • Address No.6 Jianguomennei Avenue
    Dongcheng District
    China 100730
  • Phone +861065194114
  • Visit Website

For additional information about travel restrictions, security warnings, political updates, and basic travel guidelines, please contact the nearest Chinese Embassy.