Bio visa for China

The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs has released new updates for bio visa China for 2023. All applicants are advised to follow the new requirements when filling out the application form for any visa type. Also, the suspension of multi-year or multiple entry visas issued before the 26th of March 2020 remains in place until further notice. Holders of such visas are advised to apply for a new visa in line with the new updates.  

The authorities have also temporarily stopped issuing visas for medical treatment and tourism as the health authorities deal with the escalating cases of COVID-19 outbreaks in the country. However, applications for other types of visas are allowed.

Bio Visa For China

China remains open for business, bar the issuance of medical and tourist visas. Due to the escalating Covid 19 virus outbreaks in the country, the ministries of Public Health and Public Security have had to issue a code red and new updates for visitors. Below, we review the different visas available to visitors and their requirements.

Business Visa: The Chinese economy remains open, albeit with some restrictions, so business people can still apply for and receive business visas for commercial and trade activities. To avail of this visa, you need a passport with a minimum of 6 months validity and one blank page minimum. A photocopy of the bio-data page and a Cova visa application form filled out online. If you’ve been issued a Chinese visa before, you should include proof of Address (utility bill). For other documents, consult the official page of the Chinese embassy.

Exchange Visa: Also called the F Visa, the government continues to issue it to visitors coming for tours, visits, study and any other short-term activity. You will need an invitation letter issued by the host inviting you to China. Other basic documents like your passport, proof of address, and ID card are also required.

Work Visa: The Z visa or Work Visa application is still available. Those who intend to work in China and have secured employment must apply for this visa. They must provide a PU letter issued by the employer and an invitation letter. The employer must provide their registration certificate and state the role the applicant is coming to take up in their organization. 

Other basic documents are also required.

S1/S2 Visa: The S1 and S2 Visas are for parents, spouses, sons or daughters of foreign nationals who are working or studying in China. They can visit them in China for a time. The S1 is for those who wish to stay for more than 180 days, while the S2 is for those who want to stay for less than 180 days. You will need an invitation letter issued by a relative in China, a copy of your passport bio page and the host’s passport bio page to show your relationship to them. The embassy may also request additional documents where applicable.

Family Reunion: The Q1 and Q2 family reunion visa are for relatives of Chinese citizens or foreign nationals with permanent residency in China who wish to be reunited with them. The Q1 allows the visitor to stay for more than 180 days and apply for residency status at some point, while the Q2 is only for visits below 180 days. This visa requires an invitation letter issued by a family member in China and photocopies of their passport, including your passport. A document like a birth certificate or marriage certificate showing the relationship between both parties is required.

Talents Visa: The R talent visa is for talented foreigners looking to move to China. The government remains open to attracting talent to China, which is currently in limited supply. 

Besides the basic requirements, the applicant needs to present a confirmation letter for high talent by an appropriate body in China.

Crew Visa: Being a global transport hub, millions of people pass through China by land, air and sea, and there are hundreds of transport companies working in the country. The C Crew visa is issued to crew members working for airlines, train and shipping companies. To obtain this visa, the applicant must present a guarantee letter in addition to other basic documents like their passport, ID card, etc.

X1/X2 Visa: Also called a study visa, foreigners coming to study in China are only allowed into the country of they have this Visa. The X1 Visa is for those whose academic courses will run for more than 180 days, while the X2 Visa is for those who need less than 180 days. Applicants must submit the original and photocopy of their admission letter issued by the school to the embassy in addition to their JW application form and other documents.

Permanent Resident Visa: The D Visa is for applicants seeking permanent residency in China. They will need to submit the original and photocopy of their confirmation form for foreign permanent residency.  

For more bio visa for China, consult the Chinese embassy in your home country to learn more.

Your travel destination  
Visa type
Your citizenship
Living in
    This article was published by VisaHQ, a world leader in visa processing. Since 2003, VisaHQ has 20 offices in 6 countries and has helped countless tourist, business travellers, diplomats, workers, and students obtain their visa. With a 4.41 star rating on, VisaHQ is committed to innovation, service, security, and simplicity in the visa application process.