144 hour visa China

The 144-hour visa China has been in existence since 2016 when the government of the People’s Republic of China launched the visa exemption policy for international travelers. The policy allows travelers to make brief stops at Shanghai, Zhejiang, and Jiangsu provinces around the Yangtze River Delta. The sole aim of the policy is to give international travelers convenience as they rest and prepare for their journey to their final destination.

Holders of the 144-hour visa free transit to a third country exemption can also visit cities like Tianjin, Beijing, Xi’an, Xiamen, Guangzhou, Chengdu, and Kunming. Many more cities have been included in the list so visitors can enjoy some of the side attractions in these cities for a brief period before continuing their journey.

What Is The 144-Hour Visa Exemption?

This is a transit visa exemption available to citizens from 53 countries traveling to other countries through China. As an eligible traveler, you don’t need to travel with a Chinese visa; all that is required to present at the airport, seaport, or train station is your passport and confirmed ticket for the connecting journey. 

Under this arrangement, you can stay in China for up to 6 days or 144 hours.

Before December 1st, 2019, travelers arriving in Xi’an and Chongqing under this arrangement could only stay for 72 hours without visas, but they were upgraded to a 144-hour stay. In all, travelers can visit 20 cities in the People’s the of China.

This transit visa is available for sea, land, and air travelers, and visitors can only enter and exit through designated ports. Furthermore, they are only limited to a specified area during their stay.

144-Hour Visa China Requirements

Here are the valid international travel documents requirements for the 144-hour visa.

Eligibility: You must come from one of the 53 approved countries in Asia, America, Europe, and Oceania. If you do not come from approved countries, apply for a Transit Visa instead.

Valid Passport: You need a valid passport to show proof of identity as a traveler. The passport must be valid for at least three months. Also, note that government-issued ID cards are often not considered valid travel documents so you can use them.

Confirmed Ticket: You must hold a confirmed ticket for the third country you are heading to. The ticket must show a departure date that aligns with the allotted 144-hour time allowed. If the ticket has a date beyond the 144-hour grace period, you may run into difficulties with immigration officials.

Valid Routes For A 144 Hour Visa Exemption

  • US – Hong Kong/ Macau or Beijing

  • US-Japan – Guangzhou – US

  • Australia – Hong Kong/Macau – Shanghai – Hangzhou

  • New York – Kuala Lumpur- Beijing – New York

  • London – Beijing – Hong Kong

  • Los Angeles – Guangzhou – Hong Kong – Los Angeles

There are dozens of other routes besides these routes.

Mode of Entry

Kindly note that travelers are only allowed to enter and exit the country through approved ports. This means you can not activate the 144-hour transit visa-free policy by entering through the wrong airport, seaport, or train station. The approved ports are Beijing West Railway Station, Beijing Daxing International Airport, and the Beijing Capital International Airport.

Eligible EU countries

  • Spain – Sweden – Austria - Germany – Estonia - Denmark – Slovenia - Slovakia – Finland - Portugal – Poland – Latvia - Italy – Lithuania - Iceland – Greece - Hungary – Sweden - Switzerland – Belgium - Czech – Netherlands – Luxembourg – Malta

  • Other European Countries: Russia – Cyprus – UK – Romania – Bulgaria - Albania – Monaco - Belarus – Bosnia & Herzegovina – Croatia - Montenegro


  • United States – Brazil – Canada – Argentina - Mexico – Chile


  • New Zealand – Australia


  • South Korea – UAE – Japan - Qatar

What Can You Do If you Are Not From Any Of The Approved Countries?

If you are not from any of the approved countries, you can apply for a G visa. The G Transit visa is for nonvisa exempt nationals, which allows them to transit to other countries through China. Although it is only valid for 24 hours, you may apply for an extension before you arrive in China. If that doesn’t work or you would like to stay for a few more days, you should consider a tourist visa instead.

Tourist visas are valid for 180 days, and you can stay in China for 30 days or more. Moreover, you are not limited to the cities to visit. Tourist visas are of different types; single, double, and multiple entry visas, so make your choice and visit the Embassy or visa application center nearest to you to apply.

The 144-hour visa China is available for citizens from 53 countries in Asia, Europe, America, and Oceania. Check if your country is on the list before making your move, and ensure that you have a passport with a minimum of three months' validity.

Your travel destination  
Visa type
Your citizenship
Living in
    This article was published by VisaHQ, a world leader in visa processing. Since 2003, VisaHQ has 20 offices in 6 countries and has helped countless tourist, business travellers, diplomats, workers, and students obtain their visa. With a 4.41 star rating on Reviews.io, VisaHQ is committed to innovation, service, security, and simplicity in the visa application process.