US Passport Renewal fee in San Francisco

When a passport expires, it poses many travel restrictions. If you are from San Francisco and wish to renew your passport, you can do so easily.

You can either get the passport through the mail process or by going to the San Francisco passport agency.

If you are unsure of the process, requirements, and application procedure, then we are here to help you!

Applying Through the Passport Agency

The passport agency is open from Monday to Friday in San Francisco. If you wish to proceed with your passport renewal process by visiting the passport agency, you can not do so directly, and you will be first required to set up a meeting with the agency.

The officers in the passport office will not entertain your request for a passport renewal if you come without an appointment.


Firstly, you need to check whether you are eligible for renewal. The eligibility criteria are as follows:

You must be traveling abroad in 14 days. And it would be best if you have evidence of tickets or your flight itinerary to show to the agency. You could also provide a business letter if your organization has scheduled your trip. Moreover, if you are traveling within 14 days, you need to acquire the passport urgently and go through expedited processing. The expedited processing will have a separate fee as it is not routine.

If you must travel abroad and get a visa, then you must set up your meeting 28 days before your departure to have enough time to apply for the travel visa.


You must complete the form diligently and have the confirmation number for the appointment given to you by the passport information center. Make sure you do not enter any incorrect information in the form and recheck it once after filling it out.

If you are traveling internationally, then you have to submit evidence. You have to attach a passport photo as well. Ensure all supporting documents are properly attached. Lastly, you must pay both the expedited fees and the fee for the passport application.

Applying for Minors

For minors, you have to fill out the DS-11 forms. All children younger than 16 should have both parents present at the time of the application process. You also have to provide proof of documentation that the child is yours. You can give the birth certificate or any other document. Moreover, you must provide evidence that the child is a US citizen. This should be a certified copy. You can provide a birth certificate or a previous valid passport with a validity of 5 years.

The parents must also provide identification proof. Additionally, parents need to give their consent for their children to travel. Without these requirements, the child will not be able to acquire a new passport.

You also have to pay the passport application fee!

Renewing by Mail

Another procedure is to renew by email. But not everybody can make use of this passport service. For renewal by mail, you must be eligible. It would be best if you had your passport with you; your passport shouldn't be in bad condition. You should have been 16 years when your recent passport was issued, and the issuance must have happened in the previous 15 years. And your name should be the same as your current name on your passport, and in case of modification, there should be a document supporting the change.

If all these conditions are satisfied, then you can apply by mail. You have to fill out the application forms properly. You will be required to fill out the DS-82 form. Moreover, you have to provide passport photos. For name modification, you have to provide the required documents.

You must submit the old passport too. If you want to renew your passport card, you should provide the old one. Even when you renew by mail, you have to pay the fee.

Application Process for the Passport Renewal from San Francisco

As mentioned above, you can apply by visiting the Consulate or Passport Agency present in San Francisco or through the mail. If you wish to apply by mail, you can conveniently do so through the service of VisaHQ. VisaHQ provides services for visas and passports. You can opt for multiple different passport services and also apply for multiple travel visas at once.

You can choose its section on the website for passport renewal, and the website will guide you properly regarding what you need to do. You can then fill in the application online. The application will also ask you for your mailing address and other requirements, such as a passport photo. You have to mail all the supporting documents too!

You can complete the payment online and then wait to receive your new passport within the processing time!

Apply for US Passport Renewal Online
Apply for US Passport Renewal online
This article was published by VisaHQ, a world leader in visa processing. Since 2003, VisaHQ has 20 offices in 6 countries and has helped countless tourist, business travellers, diplomats, workers, and students obtain their visa. With a 4.41 star rating on, VisaHQ is committed to innovation, service, security, and simplicity in the visa application process.