Lost US Passport Renewal

Passport renewals are necessary when your passports are about to expire and you are travelling abroad; however, a circumstance may arise where you may need to renew your passport if you lost your current passport.

This article shares the details of the procedure to renew a lost passport! Hence, if you have lost a passport or know someone with a lost passport, you are at the right place, as you will now know everything you need to know about passport renewal services for a lost or stolen passport!

What to Do if You Have Lost Your Passport?

If you have lost your passport or got stolen, you must inform the concerned US authorities, such as the stolen passport unit, at the earliest. Once you have reported the loss to the concerned authorities, you will be required to apply for the renewal of the lost passport.

Reporting is necessary, as if the passport ends up in the wrong hands, it could result in a case of identity theft.

What are the Requirements for the Passport Renewal of a Lost US Passport?

When you apply for a new passport, you should complete the DS-64 form too.

If you are applying for a passport to replace your lost or stolen passport, you must physically provide your DS-11 form.

If you are opting for a third-party agent service, you must inform your agent, and your required documents will be sent to the department of state. Ensure that the documents provided are properly sealed. The processing time starts when the passport agency receives your passport application.

If your international travel is scheduled after five weeks and you are physically present in the United States, then you must schedule an appointment at a passport acceptance facility.

However, if you are not in the United States, you must report to the US embassy or Consulate closest to you.

One major document needed for the renewal is Form DS-11. You need to fill out this form accurately and ensure nothing is missing. All the details should be mentioned properly to avoid any discrepancies later.

Form DS-64

Form DS-64 is necessary if you are renewing a stolen or lost passport. This form is a statement for a lost US passport card or passport book.

You must submit this form when your passport is stolen. This form is normally submitted along with Form DS-11.

You must submit the letter of authorization as well. Moreover, you also have to provide up to two passport photos. The passport photo identification should not have you wearing any glasses, and the pictures should be clear.

You must also provide proof that you are a citizen of the US. This proof can be in the form of a birth certificate or any other document that qualifies as proof of US citizenship.

Any original documents you submit as proof will be given to you along with your new passport. These documents are needed for verification purposes only. You should also submit proof of identity. This includes your national identification card, driver's license issued more than six months prior etc. To be on the safe side, providing extra copies of your documents is a good idea.

Other requirements and supporting documents include your travel itinerary. The itinerary can include flight reservation details, flight tickets, hotel bookings or a letter from your employer if you are being sent on a trip by your organization. Especially if you request expedited services, you must provide proper documents and proof verifying your urgent travel.

It is also very important that you pay the passport application fee timely to avoid delaying your processing time.

If you opt for expedited service, the passport processing times are reduced. However, the fees are greater. If you also have to acquire a foreign visa, it is a good idea to apply for the renewal of the lost passport earlier and about 28 days before.

Where to Apply for Renewal of a Lost US Passport?

If you are wondering how to apply for a passport renewal if you have lost your passport, then you can do so through VisaHQ. VisaHQ is an online platform that has simplified the process of applying for a lost passport. The site provides passport services and visa services. Therefore, through this site, you can avail of different passport services and acquire a visa to travel anywhere in the world, no matter where you are from. VisaHQ provides detailed information and proper guidelines to make your experience smoother.

If you wish to renew a lost US passport, you will find all the details on the website of VisaHQ. The information is detailed so you know what you must do. You can easily fill out the application on their website, submit it, and mail all the necessary documents.

At VisaHQ, you can also track the application status; hence you know how your passport renewal application is holding up.

Apply for US Passport Renewal Online
Apply for US Passport Renewal online
This article was published by VisaHQ, a world leader in visa processing. Since 2003, VisaHQ has 20 offices in 6 countries and has helped countless tourist, business travellers, diplomats, workers, and students obtain their visa. With a 4.41 star rating on Reviews.io, VisaHQ is committed to innovation, service, security, and simplicity in the visa application process.