» U.S. passport » Birth Certificate
An official certificate of every birth should be on file in the locality where the event occurred. The Federal Government does not maintain files or indexes of these records. These records are filed permanently in a State vital statistics office or in a city, county, or other local office.

To obtain a certified copy of any of the certificates, write or go to the vital statistics office in the State or area where the event occurred. For information on how and where to apply directly please visit Where To Write For Vital Records or for expedited services you can use VitalChek's express certificate ordering service.

The following documents are NOT ACCEPTABLE for passport applications:
  • Notarized photocopies of Birth Certificates
  • Hospital birth records or certificates

NOTE: All applicants MUST submit a Long Form Birth Certificate. Short Form or abstract Birth Certificates are NOT ACCEPTABLE.

All originals will be returned to applicants with the new passport

If you do not have a Birth Certificate click here for more information

New Passport

You are the first time applicant;
or your prior passport was issued at age 15 or under;
or your passport was issued more than 15 years ago;
or your expired passport is not in your possession;
or your current valid passport is damaged.

Passport Renewal

You already have a passport that is not damaged;
and your passport was issued within the last 15 years;
and you were over 16 at the time it was issued;
and you have not changed your legal name;
or you changed your legal name and can prove it.

Add Passport Pages

Your current valid passport has run out of pages, and the passport's expiration date is at least one (1) year away, otherwise apply for passport renewal.

Lost or Stolen Passport

Apply to replace your lost or stolen passport only if the missing passport is still valid. If the missing passport has expired, apply for a new passport.

Passport Name Change

You changed your legal name since the passport was issued, and the passport's issue date is within one (1) year, otherwise renew your passport.

Second Passport

Issued at the discretion of U.S. Department of State to frequent travelers that do not have time to acquire visas between trips; or for security reasons.

Don't be a stranger

Customer service

Live chat:

Recently Viewed