U.S. passport photo requirements
U.S. Passport Services - Expedited 24 hour processing for U.S. passports.
Passport PhotoYour passport photographs must be:
- In color.
- 2 x 2 inches in size.
- Printed on thin, photo-quality paper.
- Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance.
- Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background.
- Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- Taken in normal street attire: Uniforms should not be worn in photographs except religious attire that is worn daily.
- Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hair line.
- If you normally wear a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture.
- Starting November 1, 2016, eye glasses will no longer be allowed in passport photos.
- Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required).
- Articles worn for religious or medical reasons should be accompanied by a statement to that effect.
Get the best album for your passport photo - apply for New U.S. Passport
from 1" (dotted line)
to 1 3/8" (solid line)
on passport photo.