Your passport photographs must be:
Please use professional photographers specializing in passport photos. Print services stores such as FedEx Kinko's usually provide this type of service. For any questions related to U.S. passport requirements please contact our passport services specialists.
- In color.
- 2 x 2 inches in size.
- Printed on thin, photo-quality paper.
- Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance.
- Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background.
- Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- Taken in normal street attire: Uniforms should not be worn in photographs except religious attire that is worn daily.
- Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hair line.
- If you normally wear a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture.
- Starting November 1, 2016, eye glasses will no longer be allowed in passport photos.
- Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required).
- Articles worn for religious or medical reasons should be accompanied by a statement to that effect.