US passport name change

If you have recently changed your name and are wondering what the procedure is for getting your name changed on your passport, you are at the right place!

As you continue reading, this article will tell you what the process of name change is on your US passport! You will know more about what Form DS-82 is for and when you need to fill it out if you are getting a new passport with a changed name. Hence, worry not and now easily get your name changed on your passport!

Why Might You Require To Change Your Name on Your Passport?

Sometimes people change their names due to different reasons. These reasons include marrying someone and changing the name or reverting to your old name after a divorce. You may also change your name because you don't like the name you were given at birth. However, whatever the case may be when you change your name, you need to change it on all official documents.

Form DS-82

How does Form DS 82 come into play regarding name changing for the US passport?

You must fill out different forms for name change depending on when your passport was issued. If your passport was issued more than a year ago and you changed your name due to marriage or divorce, then when you apply for the new passport, you will do so through Form DS-82.

Processing Time

Normally, the processing time is somewhere around 4 to 6 weeks. Hence, if you wish to get a new passport with your name changed, schedule your time accordingly and apply for the passport.

Moreover, if you need to get a new passport urgently, you should opt for the expedited service. Expedited service costs more than standard processing. Moreover, urgent service will require you to go to the US Embassy or the passport agency in person.

Required Documents Needed

The requirements include the applicant filling out Form DS-82. Make sure that you provide only the correct information. You must ensure that the form is signed.

Moreover, you have to provide your Social Security Number. In the case where you don't have a Social Security Number, you have to state that the Social Security Administration has not provided you with one. If you do not mention this, you may be called in for questioning, which will delay your getting a new passport.

You also have to provide proof of US citizenship. You must provide original documents and photocopies of the citizenship proof. For citizenship proof, passport holders can attach their recent passports. However, this most recent passport must have a complete validity of 10 years. And the passport should be in good condition so that the information is readable. You don't have to worry about the old passport not being returned to you. You will receive the current passport along with the new passport.

If you do not send proof that you are a citizen of the United States, your application can get stuck in processing.

You also have to provide a passport photo. It is advised that in the passport photo, you should not be wearing glasses, and the background should be white. If you are eligible to renew your passport with a name change by mail, you can gather all your supporting documents along with the passport application form and mail it.

For the name change, you have to provide name change documents such as a marriage certificate, court order or a divorce decree.

You must also pay the passport application fees and then wait for the passport to be renewed with your modified name.

Applying for the Name Change

Suppose you are wondering how you can apply for the name change. You can do this by mail or by visiting the US Embassy, Consulate or passport agency. If you choose to complete the process by mail, you can mail your documents needed to the National Passport Processing Center. You must go in person if you request expedited service or a passport card. Moreover, you can also complete the passport name change process through third-party online platforms.

One such platform is VisaHQ, and the site will allow you to apply for passport renewal to change the name on your passport. VisaHQ offers visa and several passport services, such as for lost or stolen passport, passport renewals and name changes. On the website, you will receive all the information you need. Moreover, you can fill out the form on the website and gather all documents, such as the name change document like the marriage certificate or divorce decree, existing passport, etc. Once you have gathered all the documents, you can mail them! Make sure that you enter the correct mailing address on the website. Through VisaHQ, you can successfully change your name on the passport when renewing it. 

Apply for US Passport Renewal Online
Apply for US Passport Renewal online
This article was published by VisaHQ, a world leader in visa processing. Since 2003, VisaHQ has 20 offices in 6 countries and has helped countless tourist, business travellers, diplomats, workers, and students obtain their visa. With a 4.41 star rating on, VisaHQ is committed to innovation, service, security, and simplicity in the visa application process.