Passport correction form

passport correction form is required if there is an error that you want corrected. Despite your best effort to fill out the application form with the right details, it is common to find errors when the passport is eventually delivered to you, but that is not the end of the world; there are steps you can take to correct any anomaly using the correction form introduced for that purpose by the Department of State. Let’s review what you can do with the correction form.

Major Changes

You can use a correction form to effect major changes on your passport, or change document information such as changing your name or correcting the way your name was spelled. There are three ways to correct a name if you don’t want to apply for a new passport by filling out the DS-11 application form. They are

  • Correcting name mistakes on a passport that was issued within the last year. For this, you will need a DS-5504 form.

  • Changing your name after a divorce or marriage on a passport issued within the last year using the DS-5504 application form. This document can be used to make a formal change of name, but you must attach a marriage certificate, divorce certificate, or a Court order validating the name change.

  • Renewing your passport using the DS-82 Form and changing the name by attaching a marriage certificate, divorce certificate, court order, deed poll or other supporting documents within the last year.

As explained in all three scenarios, these are the instances where you can effect significant changes to your passport using the passport correction form of the Department of State. All you need besides the application form is to attach original copies of your documents and photocopies to the application. After vetting them, the passport office will return the original copies to you. However, if your documents are written in another language, you must translate them into a different language and include the translated copy for reference.

Minor Changes

Then there are minor changes you may want to effect in the new passport; for such changes, you do not require formal documents, only a valid government-issued ID card like a driver’s license that bears the name you would like on the passport. For this, you will need to apply for a passport afresh. The new passport will bear the name on the ID card. There are different kinds of minor changes, such as removing or adding a middle name, removing or adding a first name or surname, changing your first or middle name to a variant, changing your first name, middle name, or initials, changing the way your name is spelled and lots more.

Changing a name by changing the spelling is common among people seeking name changes on their passports, and for this, you don’t need a court order or any legal document. You just apply for a new passport using your government-issued ID card.

Using A Passport Correction Form To Correct Gender

If your gender has been misrepresented, you can change it by mailing a completed DS-5504 to the passport agency, and no documentation is required for this. You only need to identify your correct gender on the application form.

Date/Place of Birth Changes

If your passport has a wrong date of birth or place of birth, this can create many problems for you, but it can be corrected. If the passport was issued less than a year ago, you could correct it with the DS-5504 Form. Alternatively, you can apply for a new passport in person if it was issued more than a year ago; to change it, you must apply for a new passport with the DS-11 Form.

Effecting changes on passports issued in the last year can be done by renewal, but if the passport is older than one year, you must apply for a new passport in person. For this, you must book an appointment with the passport agency or facility in your city and bring original and photocopies of your documents on the set day.

Those living abroad must visit the US embassy in their host countries to apply for a new passport or renew their current one.

Application forms can be filled out online using a passport application Wizard or downloaded, printed in PDF format, and filled out using black or blue ink in block letters. For new applications, you must not sign the Form before presenting it to the passport officer; forms should only be filled out if the officer instructs you to do so after reviewing it.

Make sure you include the right photograph of 5cm X 5cm on a white background. Don’t wear glasses or any adornment that will obscure your image. Also, the passport photo must not be older than 6 months, as only recent photos are accepted on a passport correction form.

Apply for New US Passport Online
Apply for New US Passport online
This article was published by VisaHQ, a world leader in visa processing. Since 2003, VisaHQ has 20 offices in 6 countries and has helped countless tourist, business travellers, diplomats, workers, and students obtain their visa. With a 4.41 star rating on, VisaHQ is committed to innovation, service, security, and simplicity in the visa application process.